To perform moonlighting during residency, you must:

  • Have a regular permit to practise (which you will be able to obtain once you have passed your certification exam and completed all your rotations);
  • Be registered on the membership roll of the Collège des médecins du Québec and have paid your annual membership fee;
  • Hold malpractice insurance in addition to your medical resident coverage. The Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) will need your permit number to finalize the file. You may apply online for coverage. To that end, you must contact the CMPA;
  • Register with the Quebec Health Insurance Board (RAMQ) for your billing, when you have your permit and insurance coverage. The Collège will forward a copy of your permit to practise to RAMQ, which will send you a personal identification number (PIN), and you will be able to register online.

Note that your pay when you perform moonlighting will be subject to withdrawal of a membership fee intended for the Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec. The deductions are prorated to your billing, up to a maximum amount.

It is very important not to perform moonlighting in a facility where you are on rotation. The law prohibits you from holding medical resident status and staff physician status in the same facility at the same time.