Malpractice insurance

In addition, rotations outside Quebec that have been accepted will be paid and covered by the malpractice insurance offered in Article 29 of the collective agreement. This insurance covers medical residents worldwide. In some countries, though, agreements exist whereby residents benefit from representation locally (click here for a list of such countries). For those of you performing a rotation in a country not appearing on this list, you should normally be insured directly by your Quebec paying establishment, as provided for in the collective agreement. Note that the FMRQ and the MSSS do not agree on the extent of the malpractice insurance coverage provided for in Article 29. A grievance is to be heard on this subject in fall 2014. So we advise you to get in touch with the FMRQ before going to those countries.

It is suggested that you send the documents and information listed below to the DARSSS (insurance branch of the Health and social services network, or Réseau de la santé et des services sociaux) in order to obtain proof of insurance for residents performing a rotation in an establishment in a country not recognized by the insurer:

  • your name
  • name of Quebec paying establishment
  • name and address of establishment outside Quebec
  • duration of rotation (start and end dates)
  • specialty
  • copy of your training card
  • copy of “Request for a rotation in a non-accredited site, Quebec and outside Quebec” form, duly approved by the Collège des médecins du Québec.

Everything may be sent to: Should you need further information, though, you may also call the DARSSS at 514-282-4254.

For medical residents in training in New Brunswick

Medical residents in training in New Brunswick are subject to special rules in this regard. In all cases, we invite you to contact Marie-Anik Laplante, Co-ordinator, Union Affairs, at 514 282-0256 or 1 800 465-0215 before initiating the process.